Saturday, February 9, 2008

ENSCO 71

Finally made it to the rig in the North Sea... ENSCO 71.

Luckily, I'm located close enough to one of the office rooms in the Accomodation Section that I'll be able to get online whenever I can. I'll try to throw some pics from the rig floor whenever I'm able.

Life here is different... because operations are going on 24-7, the living quarters are almost like being on a sub - no windows, etc so you never know exactly what time it is from the conditions outside. Once you dress up in the coveralls and PPE, you can step outside where the winds are blowing hard and cold from the west. Honestly, I can't spend too much time out there before I start feeling numb. But, being out there with the BOT-Danmark boys helps.

Another thing to add about the Romney 'suspension'... and probably the bigger thing: Romney used the same scare tactics that the Republicans used in 2006 to paint his reasoning behind stepping out of the race.

"And Barack and Hillary have made their intentions clear regarding Iraq and the war on terror. They would retreat and declare defeat. And the consequence of that would be devastating. It would mean attacks on America, launched from safe havens that make Afghanistan under the Taliban look like child’s play. About this, I have no doubt."

Best strategic move by Romney I think in this whole campaign... he was able to stay in his safe graces with the 'conservatives' and yet be able to somehow lend his supporters some form of reason to back the person he had been attacking in the primaries since day 1.

No comments: